Last updated 18 August at 11:30pm in Montreal. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Canadian Open women’s main draw singles 1st round matches have been completed. The title sponsorship rights mean that the Canadian Open is officially called the Rogers Cup. The 2nd round showcases all of the Top 8 seeds for the first time in this event and a number of established champions who are ranked outside of the seeding range, but are trying to force their way back into the Top 10.
There are 16 matches to be played to complete the 2nd round and the schedule has split the 2nd round over 2 days. On Tuesday 3 of the 2nd round matches will be played to kick off the 2nd round, so the remaining 13 2nd round matches will be played on Wednesday 18 August. The Top 8 seeds will be in action after receiving a BYE in the 1st round. We will keep you updated here at OCA by adding in 2nd round results as matches are completed on this post.
Pictured above is 25 year old Svetlana Kuznetsova right after making contact with the ball as she drives her racquet into this forehand ground stroke. The 1.74m Kuznetsova from Russia won the Roland Garros singles title last year but has increasingly lost her form since then. The 2004 US Open singles champion was ranked as high as No.2 and dropped out of the Top 20 until recently.
Kuznetsova seems to be moving better recently and appears to be acting in a more positive manner than in recent months. Kuznetsova performs well on hard courts and will be looking for a major title in order to qualify for the WTA Tour Finals this year to make 6 times out of the past 7 years.
The player’s name that is bolded in the 2nd round singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match.
The 2010 Rogers Cup women’s singles draw for the 2nd round is:
- (1) Jelena Jankovic versus (Q) Iveta Benesova
- (LL) Kimiko Date Krumm v. (17) Marion Bartoli
- (10) Victoria Azarenka v. Maria Kirilenko
- (Q) Jarmila Groth v. (9) Li Na
- (5) Kim Clijsters v. (Q) Bethanie Mattek-Sands
- Sybille Bammer v. Kaia Kanepi (14) Peer
- (13) Yanina Wickmayer v. Agnes Szavay
- Yaroslava Shvedova v. (8) Vera Zvonareva
- (7) Agnieszka Radwanska v. (Q) Vania King
- Timea Bacsinszky v. (11) Svetlana Kuznetsova
- (16) Aravane Rezai v. Zheng Jie
- Klara Zakopalova v. (4) Elena Dementieva
- (6) Francesca Schiavone v. (Q) Ekaterina Makarova
- Dinara Safina v. (18) Nadia Petrova
- (15) Flavia Pennetta v. Daniela Hantuchova
- Alisa Kleybanova v. (2) Caroline Wozniacki
- 2nd round matches completed on Day 5 Tuesday 17 August:
- (1) Jelena Jankovic lost to (Q) Iveta Benesova 6-7 (3-7), 3-6
- (Q) Jarmila Groth lost to (9) Li Na 3-6 2-6
- (8) Vera Zvonareva def. Yaroslava Shvedova 6-2 6-1
2nd round matches to be completed on Day 6 Wednesday 18 August:
- (LL) Kimiko Date Krumm lost to (17) Marion Bartoli walkover
- (10) Victoria Azarenka def. Maria Kirilenko 6-4 6-1
- (5) Kim Clijsters def. (Q) Bethanie Mattek-Sands 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Sybille Bammer lost to Kaia Kanepi 5-7 2-6
- (13) Yanina Wickmayer lost to Agnes Szavay 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-4
- (7) Agnieszka Radwanska def. (Q) Vania King 6-0 6-3
- Timea Bacsinszky lost to (11) Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-7 (5-7), 4-6
- (16) Aravane Rezai lost to Zheng Jie 7-5, 6-7 (6-8), 1-6
- Klara Zakopalova lost to (4) Elena Dementieva 2-6 4-6
- (6) Francesca Schiavone def. (Q) Ekaterina Makarova 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-2
- Dinara Safina def. (18) Nadia Petrova 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
- (15) Flavia Pennetta def. Alisa Kleybanova 6-3 6-3
- (LL) Patty Schnyder lost to (2) Caroline Wozniacki 5-7 5-7
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Canada including the schedule of play -> Canada 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010