Last updated 19 August at 11:45pm in Montreal. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Canadian Open women’s main draw singles 2nd round matches are now complete. There are 11 seeds still alive in the draw plus one qualifier and 4 direct acceptances in the round of 16. There are 3 former Canadian Open champions striving for a second singles title in Canada. Defending champion Elena Dementieva, 2008 winner Dinara Safina and 2005 winner Kim Clijsters.
OCA will keep you updated with all of the round of 16 results as matches are completed, right here on this post. The matches numbered from No.1 to No.4 in the draw below are the matches from the top half of the draw, whilst matches No.5 to No.8 are the matches from the bottom half of the draw. All 8 matches are scheduled for today, after which the 8 quarter finalists will be decided. All of these matches will be played on just 2 courts, Court Central and the National Bank Court.
Pictured above is 27 year old Zheng Jie of China just after making contact with the ball for this forehand drive. The 1.64m Zheng has made the round of 16 at the Canadian Open for the 3rd time in her career (also 2005 and 2009) but is yet to advance to the quarter finals. In fact Zheng’s best career result in a major tournament outside of the grand slams is being a quarter finalist at the Indian Wells Open this year and at the Miami Open in 2006.
Zheng is currently ranked No.24 and her career high ranking is No.15. Another good run at a major tournament in 2010 like Canada, may be enough to achieve a new career high ranking. In addition to recording her best result at Indian Wells this year, Zheng equalled her best career result in a Grand Slam singles event at the 2010 Australian Open by making the semi finals, which she did at the 2008 Wimbledon championships as well. Zheng plays Elena Dementieva in the first meeting between these two players for a spot in the quarter finals.
The player’s name that is bolded in the round of 16 singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has her first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the round of 16.
The 2010 Rogers Cup in Canada round of 16 draw is:
- (1) Jankovic (Q) Iveta Benesova versus (17) Marion Bartoli
- (10) Victoria Azarenka v. (9) Li Na
- (5) Kim Clijsters v. Kaia Kanepi (14) Peer
- (13) Wickmayer Agnes Szavay v. (8) Vera Zvonareva
- (7) Agnieszka Radwanska v. (11) Svetlana Kuznetsova
- (16) Rezai Zheng Jie v. (4) Elena Dementieva
- (6) Francesca Schiavone v. Dinara Safina (18) Petrova
- (15) Flavia Pennetta v. (2) Caroline Wozniacki
The order of play for Day 7 – Thursday 19 August is:
- 11am on the Court Central Azarenka defeated Li 6-3 6-3
- 11am on the National Bank Court Benesova lost to Bartoli 0-6 1-6
- 1pm on Court Central is Radwanska lost to Kuznetsova 4-6, 6-1, 3-6
- 1pm on National Bank Court is Szavay lost to Zvonareva 3-6 3-6
- 3rd match on Court Central is Clijsters def. Kanepi 6-2 6-1
- 3rd on National Bank Court is Zheng def. Dementieva 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
- 7pm on Court Central is Pennetta lost to Wozniacki 6-4, 3-6, 1-6
- followed by Safina lost to Schiavone on Court Central 4-6 3-6
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Canada including the schedule of play -> Canada 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010