Last updated 18 August at 7am in Canada. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Canadian Open women’s main draw singles matches began on Monday 16 August at 11am local time in Montreal and will be completed over two days. The title sponsorship rights mean that the Canadian Open is officially called the Rogers Cup. We will keep you updated here at OCA by adding in 1st round results as matches are completed on this post.
There are 24 matches to be played to complete the 1st round and the schedule has split 12 matches onto each of the first two days of the tournament. Additionally, on Tuesday 3 of the 2nd round matches will be played to kick off the 2nd round, so the remaining 13 2nd round matches will be played on Wednesday 18 August. The Top 8 seeds await the winners of the 1st round matches in the 2nd round because the Top 8 seeds have a BYE in the 1st round.
Pictured above is 21 year old Agnieszka Radwanska driving her racquet to the ball during her service action. The 1.72m Radwanska from Poland made the quarters finals last year in Canada before losing to eventual runner-up Maria Sharapova. After making the final in Cincinnati, Sharapova, who was the No.12 seed withdrew from Canada and was replaced by Nadia Petrova, who became the No.18 seed.
Radwanska’s best WTA result in a major tournament was being the runner-up at the 2009 China Open in Beijing. Radwanska is set to make the next step up in women’s tennis by winning a major tournament for the first time, improving on her career best WTA ranking of No.7 and qualifying for the WTA Tour Finals this year. The former ITF Junior World No.1 won the girl’s singles title at the 2005 Junior Wimbledon and won the girl’s singles at the 2006 Roland Garros Junior Championships.
Thus far the completed women’s singles 1st round matches at the 2010 Rogers Cup in Canada are:
- Sara Errani lost to (Q) Iveta Benesova 3-6 2-6
- (Q) Jarmila Groth defeated Alona Bondarenko 7-6 (11-9), 6-2
- Alexandra Dulgheru lost to Sybille Bammer 2-6, 6-3, 3-6
- Kaia Kanepi def. (14) Peer 6-3 6-3
- (13) Wickmayer def. Olga Govortsova 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
- Angelique Kerber lost to Yaroslava Shvedova 7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 4-6
- (Q) Vania King def. Anabel Medina Garrigues 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
- Timea Bacsinszky def. (WC) Aleksandra Wozniak 6-3 6-2
- (16) Rezai def. Petra Kvitova 6-7 (1-7), 7-5, 6-3
- (WC) Stephanie Dubois lost to Klara Zakopalova 6-4, 5-7, 3-6
- Andrea Petkovic lost to Dinara Safina 3-6 3-6
- (WC) Virginie Razzano lost to (LL) Patty Schnyder 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 3-6
The Rogers Cup schedule of play for Tuesday 17 August is:
- (LL) Kimiko Date Krumm def. (Q) Monica Niculescu 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-2
- (WC) Valerie Tetreault lost to (17) Bartoli 1-6 0-6
- (10) Azarenka def. Katernya Bondarenko 6-1 6-1
- Maria Kirilenko def. Dominika Cibulkova 6-0 6-3
- Melanie Oudin lost to (Q) Bethanie Mattek-Sands 1-6 4-6
- Agnes Szavay def. Gisela Dulko 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
- Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova lost to (11) Kuznetsova 5-7, 6-4, 1-6
- Zheng Jie def. Katarina Srebotnik 6-3 6-2
- (Q) Ekaterina Makarova def. (Q) Lucie Hradecka 6-0 6-4
- Lucie Safarova lost to (18) Petrova 5-7, 6-4, 3-6
- (15) Pennetta def. Daniela Hantuchova 6-0 7-5
- Alisa Kleybanova def. (Q) Heidi El Tabakh 6-1 6-2
- 2nd round: (1) Jankovic lost to (Q) Iveta Benesova 6-7 (3-7), 3-6
- 2nd round: (Q) Jarmila Groth lost to (9) Li 3-6 2-6
- 2nd round: (8) Zvonareva def. Yaroslava Shvedova 6-2 6-1
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Canada including the schedule of play -> Canada 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010