photo credit:Christian Mesiano
Last updated on the October 5 at 7am in Beijing. There are 7 more 1st round singles matches to be completed today and 3 2nd round matches are scheduled for today. See the latest results and scores in the draw below…
The 2010 China Open women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Sunday 3 October September at 12 noon local time in Beijing, which means 12 noon for Hong Kong as well. There are 60 main draw spots divided up between 8 Qualifiers (Q), 5 Wild Cards (WC) and 47 Direct Acceptances. The 4 BYES in the draw went to Japan Open semi finalists Caroline Wozniacki, Elena Dementieva, Victoria Azarenka and Francesca Schiavone.
The China Open has 4.5 million US dollars in prize money and is one of only 4 Premier Mandatory level tournaments each year making it one of THE major events on the WTA Tour. The China Open is held at the Olympic Green Tennis Center, which was built especially for the 2008 Beijing Olympics National Tennis Centre on Deco Turf hard courts. This year is the 11th straight year for this tournament and only the second as a Premier Mandatory category event. The draw was completed this afternoon.
The qualifiers names have been added to the 1st round draw below, which will be completed over 3 days with some 2nd round matches commencing on the 3rd day. The player’s name that is bolded in the draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match.
Pictured above is 2009 China Open Women’s Singles quarter finalist Vera Zvonareva as she is a split second away from making contact with the ball for this backhand ground stroke. The 26 year old from Russia is having the best year of her career after being a runner-up at Wimbledon and the US Open. Her best result in Beijing is making the semi finals both in 2004 and 2008.
The 1.72m Zvonareva has a tough draw in the 1st round against former World No.1 Dinara Safina. Zvonareva made the quarter finals at the Japan Open last week and by doing so, became the second woman to qualify for the WTA Tour Finals this year. Caroline Wozniacki who won the Japan Open singles title was the first woman to qualify for the WTA Tour Finals, during the China Open the final 6 places will be decided according to who performs best.
The three 2nd round matches that were played saw a huge upset by Serbian qualifier Bojana Jovanovski against the No.1 Serbian and No.3 seed Jelena Jankovic 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. No.13 seed Nadia Petrova defeated Alona Bondarenko 6-3 7-5 and Maria Kirilenko won 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 against Gisela Dulko.
The draw for the 2010 China Open Women’s singles event is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki versus BYE
- Sara Errani defeated (WC) Peng Shuai 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Flavia Pennetta lost to Petra Kvitova 6-7 (4-7), 1-6
- Kaia Kanepi def. (16) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 7-5 6-1
- (11) Marion Bartoli lost to Ana Ivanovic 2-6 3-6
- Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez lost to Olga Govortsova 3-6 2-6
- Kimiko Date Krumm def. Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-0 6-4
- BYE v. (7) Elena Dementieva
- (3) Jelena Jankovic def. Klara Zakopalova 7-5 7-5
- (Q) Bojana Jovanovski def. (Q) Katernya Bondarenko 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
- Patty Schnyder def. Yaroslava Shvedova 6-1 6-4
- (WC) Sun Shengnan v. (15) Shahar Peer 1-6 2-6
- (12) Maria Sharapova def. Tsvetana Pironkova 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
- Agnes Szavay lost to Elena Vesnina 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 3-6
- Timea Bacsinszky def. Julia Goerges 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- BYE v. (8) Victoria Azarenka
- (6) Agnieszka Radwanska lost to Angelique Kerber 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 5-7
- Alexandra Dulgheru def. Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-4 6-4
- Alisa Kleybanova def. (Q) Lu Jing-Jing 6-1 6-0
- (Q) Alla Kudryavtseva lost to (9) Li Na 2-6 0-6
- (13) Nadia Petrova def. (WC) Han Xinyun 6-2 6-2
- Alona Bondarenko def. (WC) Zhou Yi-Miao 6-2 6-0
- Yanina Wickmayer lost to Dominika Cibulkova 0-6, 6-7 (6-8)
- (Q) Anastasija Sevastova def. (4) Samantha Stosur 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
- (5) Francesca Schiavone v. BYE
- Daniela Hantuchova lost to Polona Hercog 3-6, 6-0, 3-6
- (Q) Vera Dushevina def. (Q) Ekaterina Makarova 6-4 6-4
- (Q) Roberta Vinci def. (10) Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
- (14) Aravane Rezai lost to Gisela Dulko 4-6, 6-2, 4-6
- (WC) Zhang Shuai lost to Maria Kirilenko 1-6 0-6
- Lucie Safarova lost to Andrea Petkovic 2-6 3-6
- Dinara Safina lost to (2) Vera Zvonareva 4-6, 6-7 (6-8)
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the China Open including the schedule of play -> China Open 2010: October 1-10.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010