photo credit:Christian Mesiano
Last updated on the October 5 at 10:30pm in Beijing. There are 2 more 2nd round singles matches to be completed tomorrow. See the latest results and scores below…
The 2010 China Open women’s main draw singles matches first round matches are now complete. There are 16 2nd round matches to be played and they will be completed over 3 days Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The 3rd round or round of 16 will also commence on Wednesday.
In the 1st round 6 of the 16 seeds were upset and 4 of the 8 qualifiers won through to the 2nd round with the best effort by qualifier Anastasija Sevastova, who knocked out the highest seed thus far, No.4 seed Samantha Stosur. Defending champion Svetlana Kuznetsova was taken out by another qualifier, Roberta Vinci. Last year’s runner-up and No.6 seed Agnieszka Radwanska was also knocked out in the 1st round ending her quest to qualify for the WTA Tour Finals.
Pictured above is 2009 China Open Women’s Singles quarter finalist Elena Dementieva a split second after making contact with the ball for this forehand ground stroke at the 2010 US Open. The 28 year old from Russia turns 29 in 10 days was beaten by eventual finalist Agnieszka Radwanska. Dementieva cut her way through the draw in last week’s Japan Open by winning through to the final without dropping a set.
The 1.8m Dementieva needs to make the semi finals this week to move into the eighth and final place in the race to finish in the Top 8 to qualify for the 2010 WTA Tour Finals for the tenth time in the past 11 years. Dementieva has a tough draw playing against Japan’s No.1 Kimiko Date Krumm, then IF she can win that match she may play former World No.1 Ana Ivanovic followed by a rematch with No.1 seed Caroline Wozniacki.
The player’s name that is bolded in the draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has her first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 2nd round.
The draw for the 2010 China Open Women’s singles 2nd round is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki versus Sara Errani
- Petra Kvitova v. Kaia Kanepi (16) Pavlyuchenkova
- (11) Bartoli Ana Ivanovic v. Olga Govortsova
- Kimiko Date Krumm v. (7) Elena Dementieva
- (3) Jelena Jankovic v. (Q) Bojana Jovanovski
- Patty Schnyder v. (15) Shahar Peer
- (12) Maria Sharapova v. Elena Vesnina
- Timea Bacsinszky v. (8) Victoria Azarenka
- (6) Radwanska Angelique Kerber v. Alexandra Dulgheru
- Alisa Kleybanova v. (9) Li Na
- (13) Nadia Petrova v. Alona Bondarenko
- Dominika Cibulkova v. (Q) Anastasija Sevastova (4) Stosur
- (5) Francesca Schiavone v. Polona Hercog
- (Q) Vera Dushevina v. (Q) Roberta Vinci (10) Kuznetsova
- (14) Rezai Gisela Dulko v. Maria Kirilenko
- Andrea Petkovic v. (2) Vera Zvonareva
2nd round matches completed on Monday 4 October:
- (13) Petrova defeated Alona Bondarenko 6-3 7-5
- (Q) Bojana Jovanovski def. (3) Jelena Jankovic 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Kirilenko def. Dulko 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
2nd round matches to be completed on Tuesday 5 October:
- Kvitova def. Kanpei 7-5, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2
- Ana Ivanovic def. Govortsova 6-0 7-5
- (7) Dementieva def. Krumm 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
- (15) Peer def. Schnyder 6-4 6-2
- Vesnina def. (12) Sharapova 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
- Timea Bacsinszky def. (8) Azarenka 4-6, 3-2 retired with a left thigh strain
- (9) Li def. Kleybanova 6-1 6-4
- (Q) Sevastova def. Cibulkova 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
- (5) Schiavone def. Hercog 6-3 6-3
- (Q) Dushevina def. (Q) Vinci 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
- (2) Zvonareva def. Petkovic 6-4 6-1
2nd round matches to be completed on Wednesday 6 October:
- (1) Wozniacki v. Errani
- Kerber v. Dulgheru
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the China Open including the schedule of play -> China Open 2010: October 1-10.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010