The 2011 China Open women’s main draw singles matches begin on Saturday 1 October at 12 noon local time in Beijing in China. To watch the tennis in Singapore follow the times in Beijing as they are the same. The full singles draw including who all the qualifiers play is listed below. There are 60 main draw spots divided up between 8 Qualifiers (Q), 5 Wild Cards (WC) and 47 Direct Acceptances.
The 47 direct acceptances are decided according to whom the Top 47 ranked players in the world that enter this year by 22 August 2011. This year the cut-off for the last direct acceptance was Kimiko Date-Krumm of Japan who was ranked No.57 at the cut-off date. If any direct acceptances and/or wild card entrants withdraw after the first round of qualifying is completed then those spots are awarded to lucky losers.
Click this link to buy China Open Official tennis tickets. Click this link-> China Open 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play to see the FULL details about: prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event.
Pictured above is 2010 China Open runner-up Vera ZVONAREVA just after making contact with the ball with this forehand on her way to the semi finals of the 2011 Australian Open. The 27-year-old Zvonareva lost 3-6, 6-3, 3-6 last year to World No.1 Caroline Wozniacki in the final and was in the running to claim the year-end World No.1 ranking at the WTA Tour Finals.
The 1.74m Zvonareva achieved her career-high ranking to date of No.2 the day before the 2010 WTA Tour Finals. The Russian will have a chance to earn the No.1 ranking for the first time again at the WTA Tour Finals if Wozniacki is upset again defending the China Open as she was defending the Japan Open earlier this week. Zvonareva was a runner-up at Wimbledon and the US Open in 2010 and has twice been a semi finalist at the Australian Open in the past 3 years.
In a 60-player draw there are 16 seeded players and they were selected according to the WTA rankings on the final Monday before this event commences. This year the seeding will be based on the WTA rankings as at September 26. The Top 8 seeds have been bolded in the draw below.
When there are only 4 Byes as at the China Open, seeds 1 to 4 would usually be the only players to receive a bye. The Japan Open singles final is held on the same day as the 1st round of the China Open the byes so the four byes do NOT go to the Top 4 seeds and instead go to the four semi finalists from the Japan Open to allow them to play in both tournaments.
The draw for the seeded players if they all win through to the round of 16 is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) versus (14) Sabine LISICKI
- PENG Shuai (12) v (7) Francesca SCHIAVONE
- Vera ZVONAREVA (3) v (16) Svetlana KUZNETSOVA
- Agnieszka RADWANSKA (11) v (5) Petra KVITOVA
- Samantha STOSUR (6) v (10) Jelena JANKOVIC
- Roberta VINCI (15) v (4) LI Na
- Marion BARTOLI (8) v (9) Andrea PETKOVIC
- Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (13) v (2) Victoria AZARENKA
The draw for the 2011 China Open Women’s singles event is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) v Lucie HRADECKA
- Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES v Jarmila GAJDOSOVA
- Kaia KANEPI v (WC) ZHENG Saisai
- Irina-Camelia BEGU v (14) Sabine LISICKI
- PENG Shuai (12) v Flavia PENNETTA
- Daniela HANTUCHOVA v (Q) Eleni DANIILIDOU
- ZHANG Shuai (WC) v Dominika CIBULKOVA
- Bojana JOVANOVSKI v (7) Francesca SCHIAVONE
- Vera ZVONAREVA (3) v BYE
- Klara ZAKOPALOVA v Nadia PETROVA
- Kimiko DATE-KRUMM v Ana IVANOVIC
- Alexandra DULGHERU v (16) Svetlana KUZNETSOVA
- Agnieszka RADWANSKA (11) v BYE
- ZHENG Jie (WC) v Alberta BRIANTI
- Sofia ARVIDSSON v Alona BONDARENKO
- BYE v (5) Petra KVITOVA
- Samantha STOSUR (6) v Tsvetana PIRONKOVA
- Julia GOERGES v Maria KIRILENKO
- Sara ERRANI v Petra CETKOVSKA
- Tamira PASZEK v (10) Jelena JANKOVIC
- Roberta VINCI (15) v Rebecca MARINO
- Gisela DULKO (WC) v (Q) Virginie RAZZANO
- HU Yue-Yue (WC) v (Q) Chanelle SCHEEPERS
- Monica NICULESCU (Q) v (4) LI Na
- Marion BARTOLI (8) v Iveta BENESOVA
- Ayumi MORITA v (Q) Christina MCHALE
- Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO (Q) v Ekaterina MAKAROVA
- Lucie SAFAROVA v (9) Andrea PETKOVIC
- Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (13) v Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA
- Shahar PE’ER v Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ
- Laura ROBSON (Q) v Polona HERCOG
- BYE v (2) Victoria AZARENKA
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA and ATP Tours.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011