Last updated 12 August at 10:45pm in Cincinnati. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Cincinnati Open women’s main draw singles 2nd round matches are now complete. There is one qualifier Akgul Amanmuradova and one wild card, 18 year old American Christina McHale who is delighting the local fans in her career best tournament to date, left in the draw. There are still 11 of the 16 seeds in contention for another major title and vying for a spot in the 8-player WTA Tour Finals in Doha.
OCA will keep you updated with all of the 2nd round results as matches are completed, right here on this post. The matches numbered from No.1 to No.4 in the draw below are the matches from the top half of the draw, whilst matches No.5 to No.8 are the matches from the bottom half of the draw. 13 matches are scheduled for today, which will complete the 2nd round of singles matches after which, only 16 players will remain. All of these matches will be played on just 3 courts, Centre Court, the Grandstand Court and Court 3.
Pictured above is 22 year old Ana Ivanovic of Serbia beautifully positioned to take a full swing at the ball, even though the incoming ball is coming in well below the ideal height for this double handed backhand ground stroke. The 1.86m former World No.1 is currently the World No.62 and working her way back up the rankings.
Ivanovic can make a big jump up the WTA Tour rankings list if she can win her way deep into this event. In her next match she plays Elena Vesnina for a spot in the quarter finals whom she beat in their only previous match 6-1 6-3 at the Rome Open this year. Ivanovic will be trying to recapture the playing level that earned her the singles championship at Roland Garros in 2008 and 3 major WTA Tour titles: the 2008 Indian Wells Open, Berlin in 2007 (no longer a major tournament) and the 2006 Canadian Open.
The highlights of Ivanovic’s ITF Junior Tour career were being a runner-up at the 2004 Junior US Open, making the quarter finals of the 2002 Junior Roland Garros and 2004 Junior Australian Open tournaments. Her career best ITF Junior ranking was No.19.
The player’s name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has her first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the round of 16.
The 2010 Cincinnati Women’s Open round of 16 singles draw is:
- (1) Jelena Jankovic versus (Q) Akgul Amanmuradova (14) Rezai
- (9) Azarenka Ana Ivanovic v. Elena Vesnina (5) Schiavone
- (4) Kim Clijsters v. (WC) Christina McHale (15) Petrova
- (11) Flavia Pennetta v. (6) Vera Zvonareva
- (8) Li Na v. (12) Yanina Wickmayer
- (13) Shahar Peer v. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (3) Dementieva
- (7) Agnieszka Radwanska v. (10) Maria Sharapova
- (16) Marion Bartoli v. (2) Caroline Wozniacki
The order of play for Day 6 – Thursday 12 August is:
- 11am on Centre Court Bartoli def. Wozniacki 6-4 6-1
- 11am on Grandstand Ivanovic def. Vesnina 6-0 6-3
- 11am on Court 3 Li lost to Wickmayer 6-2, 2-6, 6-7 (4-7)
- 2nd on Centre Court Radwanska lost to Sharapova 2-6 3-6
- 2nd on Grandstand Pennetta def. Zvonareva 6-4 6-3
- 2nd on Court 3 Peer lost to Pavlyuchenkova 7-5, 4-6, 4-6
- 3rd on Grandstand Jankovic lost to Amanmuradova 6-7 (3-7), 4-6
- 7pm on Centre Court Clijsters def. McHale 6-1 6-1
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the Cincinnati Open. Click this link for more details about both the men’s and women’s singles events including the schedules of play -> Cincinnati 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010