The 2011 Dubai Open women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Monday 14 February at 12 noon local time. The Dubai singles event has a 64-draw that contains 56 players and 8 Bye’s. The 56 players consist of 44 direct acceptances, 8 Qualifiers and 4 Wild Cards. In the 1st round 48 players compete with the 24 winners joining the Top 8 seeds in the 2nd round.
Dubai is a WTA Premier FIVE category tournament played from February 12-20. The total prize money for the 2011 Dubai tournament is $2,050,000 US dollars. The official tournament name is the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. The last direct acceptance into the draw was Akgul AMANMURADOVA of Uzbekistan who was ranked No.70 at the cut-off date.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. Click this link for details about how you can buy Dubai Open Official tennis tickets and you will also find full coverage of the Dubai Open.
The Seeds: In a 64-player sized draw there are 16 seeded players. This means that all of the 16 seeds are separated in the draw so they cannot meet another seed until the round of 16. The seeding for the Dubai Open is allocated according to the latest WTA rankings before the draw is made. These latest rankings were released on Monday 7 February.
The 2011 Dubai Open women’s singles seeds are:
Seeds 1-8: 1-Caroline WOZNIACKI, 2-Vera ZVONAREVA, 3-Francesca SCHIAVONE, 4-Samantha STOSUR, 5-LI Na, 6-Jelena JANKOVIC, 7-Victoria AZARENKA and 8-Agnieszka RADWANSKA.
Seeds 9-16: 9-Shahar PEER, 10-Marion BARTOLI, 11-Flavia PENNETTA, 12-Kaia KANEPI, 13-Petra KVITOVA, 14-Ana IVANOVIC, 15-Alisa KLEYBANOVA and 16-Svetlana KUZNETSOVA.
If a seeded players withdraws during the next few days before taking the court for their 1st round match OnCourt Advantage will update you of any new developments amongst the seeded players straight away. That seed would be replaced by the next highest ranked direct acceptance i.e. Andrea PETKOVIC.
The Wild Cards: As soon as each of the 3 players that are awarded a wild card are announced OnCourt Advantage will add their names right here-> Sania MIRZA, Bojana JOVANOVSKI and Jelena DOKIC.
The Qualifiers: The 32-player qualifying tournament begins on Saturday 12 February and concludes on Sunday 13 February. As soon as the qualifying event is complete I will add the names of the 8 qualifiers into their allocated spots in the draw below and list their names right here-> Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA, PENG Shuai, Ayumi MORITA, Kristina BARROIS, Chanelle SCHEEPERS, ZHANG Shuai, Zuzana KUCOVA and Nuria LLAGOSTERA VIVES.
Agnieszka Radwanska achieved her best result to date at the Dubai Open in 2010 by making the semi finals before being defeated by Victoria Azarenka 6-3 6-4. The 1.72m Radwanska is pictured above after making contact with the ball with her double-handed backhand drive. The current World No.10 from Poland has won 4 WTA singles titles and is in form after reaching the 2011 Australian Open quarter finals.
The 21-year-old Radwanska equalled her best Grand Slam singles results to date before being defeated by eventual champion and new World No.1 Kim Clijsters 3-6, 6-7 (4-7). Radwanska has now made it to the Grand Slam quarter final stage on 4 occasions; Australian Open 2008 and 2011 and at Wimbledon in 2008 and 2009. She achieved her career-high ranking to date of No.8 on 22 February 2010.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the round of 16 is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) v (13) Petra KVITOVA
- Shahar PEER (9) v (5) LI Na
- Samantha STOSUR (4) v (14) Ana IVANOVIC
- Kaia KANEPI (12) v (6) Jelena JANKOVIC
- Agnieszka RADWANKSA (8) v (10) Marion BARTOLI
- Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (16) v (3) Francesca SCHIAVONE
- Victoria AZARENKA (7) v (11) Flavia PENNETTA
- Alisa KLEYBANOVA (15) v (2) Vera ZVONAREVA
The 2011 Dubai Open women’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) v BYE
- Anna CHAKVETADZE v Daniela HANTUCHOVA
- Akgul AMANMURADOVA v (WC) Sania MIRZA
- Ayumi MORITA (Q) v (13) Petra KVITOVA
- Shahar PEER (9) v Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ
- Alexandra DULGHERU v Elena BALTACHA
- Yanina WICKMAYER v (WC) Bojana JOVANOVSKI
- BYE v (5) LI Na
- Samantha STOSUR (4) v BYE
- Sara ERRANI v (Q) Zuzana KUCOVA
- Kristina BARROIS (Q) v ZHENG Jie
- Patty SCHNYDER v (14) Ana IVANOVIC
- Kaia KANEPI (12) v Vera DUSHEVINA
- Andrea PETKOVIC v Angelique KERBER
- Chanelle SCHEEPERS (Q) v Maria KIRILENKO
- BYE v (6) Jelena JANKOVIC
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Agnieszka RADWANKSA (8) v BYE
- Anastasija SEVASTOVA v Anastasia RODIONOVA
- Timea BACSINSZKY v Iveta BENESOVA
- KimikoDATE-KRUMM v (10) Marion BARTOLI
- Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (16) v (Q) Nuria LLAGOSTERA VIVES
- Ekaterina MAKAROVA v Tsvetana PIRONKOVA
- ZHANG Shuai (Q) v Yaroslava SHVEDOVA
- BYE v (3) Francesca SCHIAVONE
- Victoria AZARENKA (7) v BYE
- PENG Shuai (Q) v Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS
- Klara ZAKOPALOVA v Lucie SAFAROVA
- Jelena DOKIC (WC) v (11) Flavia PENNETTA
- Alisa KLEYBANOVA (15) v (Q) Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA
- Jarmila GROTH v Dominika CIBULKOVA
- Roberta VINCI v Elena VESNINA
- BYE v (2) Vera ZVONAREVA
OnCourt Advantage supplies all the details YOU need to make it easy to follow tennis, get your tennis tickets and watch men’s and women’s professional tennis on the WTA, ATP Tour and for each Grand Slam tournament all year round.
photo credit: Christian Mesiano