The WTA Tour’s 2nd Major Tournament in 2010 is called the Dubai Tennis Championships. It is being held from Friday February 12 through to the final on Saturday February 20 at the Aviation Club Tennis Centre in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
In this post we will cover how the WTA Tour ranking points and prize money are allocated, the schedule of play, who the seeds are at the Dubai Open and who they are seeded to meet in the round of 16. For further information on this tournament please click this link -> Dubai Women’s Major Tournament.
No.2 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova who is pictured above lost in her 1st match in Dubai last year so only earned 1 point. If the 24 year old Russian makes the final she will overtake current World No.2 to equal her career high ranking. Kuznetsova defeated Dinara Safina 6-4 6-2 in the 2009 French Open Women’s Singles Final.
In Dubai’s 2nd year as a Premier Five tournament the amount of ranking points that can be won has been increased. The WTA ranking points and prize money (in US dollars), is awarded to the players in the following way:
- The winner earns 900 points + $350,000;
- The runner-up earns 620 points + $175,000;
- The two semi finalists earn 395 + $87,500;
- The four quarter finalists earn 225 + $40,000,
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 125 + $20,000;
- The 16 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 70 + $10,275;
- The 24 players who lose in the 1st round earn 1 point + $5,400.
The seeding and draw for the top 16 players, if they all win through to the round of 16 is:
(1) Caroline Wozniacki versus (13) Yanina Wickmayer
(11) Marion Bartoli v (8) Li Na
(3) Venus Williams v (14) Francesca Schiavone
(9) Samantha Stosur v (5) Elena Dementieva
…which are the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players who are seeded to meet are:
(6) Jelena Jankovic v (12) Vera Zvonareva
(16) Zheng Jie v (4) Victoria Azarenka
(8) Agnieszka Radwanska v (10) Flavia Pennetta
(15) Nadia Petrova v (2) Svetlana Kuznetsova
The chances that all of 16 seeds will make it to the round of 16 are very slim. Follow the first two rounds to watch a number of the top seeds get knocked out!
The matches are played in a day session and an evening session. The day session begins at 12 noon in Dubai and the evening session begins at 7pm. This schedule remains the same throughout except for the day session (ONLY on the final 3 days). The Quarter and Semi Finals day sessions begin at 2pm instead, whereas the Final is at 7pm.
The schedule of play for the main draw matches in Dubai on centre court is:
- Sunday 14 February: 1st round;
- Monday 15 February: 1st round;
- Tuesday 16 February: 2nd round;
- Wednesday 17 February: 3rd round or round of 16;
- Thursday 18 February: Quarter Finals;
- Friday 19 February: Semi Finals; and
- Saturday 20 February: The Women’s Singles Final.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information and results at Dubai through the remainder of the tournament. Click this link for more details -> Dubai 2010 Women: Feb 12-20.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010
photo credit: 水御龙神