The Indian Wells Open is the 3rd MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ in 2011 for the women’s professional tennis tour. The 36th year of this event is being held at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California in the USA. The official name of Indian Wells due to title sponsorship naming rights is the BNP Paribas Open.
The 2011 Indian Wells Open is a WTA Premier Mandatory category tournament played on plexipave hard courts. The women’s event begins on Monday March 7 with the qualifying singles draw and the Women’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday March 20. The singles event has a 128-draw containing 96 players consisting of 83 direct acceptances, 10 Qualifiers and 3 Wild Cards.
The centre court has a seating capacity of 16,000 making it the world’s second largest stadium in tennis. The total prize money for the Women’s Singles event is $4,500,000 US dollars. The 32 seeds are selected according to the WTA rankings as at 7 March 2011.
The 2010 Indian Wells Open Women’s singles champion was No.6 seed Jelena Jankovic who defeated No.2 seed Caroline WOZNIACKI in the final 6-2 6-4. The 20-year-old Wozniacki is pictured above at the 2011 Australian Open just as she is making contact with the ball with her best ground stroke, her double-handed backhand.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
This is how the WTA ranking points and prize money is awarded to the players for each round:
- The winner earns 1,000 points + $700,000;
- The runner-up earns 700 points + $350,000;
- The two semi finalists earn 450 + $150,000;
- The four quarter finalists earn 250 + $64,700,
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 140 + $32,000;
- The 16 players who lose in the 3rd round earn 80 + $18,740;
- The 32 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 50 + $11,500;
- The 16 players who lose in the 1st round earn 5 points + $7,050.
The 2011 Indian Wells Open schedule of play for the entire event is:
- Monday 7 March: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Tuesday 8 March: Qualifying from 10am;
- Wednesday 9 March: Main Draw 1st round from 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 10 March: 1st round from 11am and 7pm;
- Friday 11 March: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Saturday 12 March: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Sunday 13 March: 3rd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Monday 14 March: 3rd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 15 March: Round of 16 from 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 16 March: Quarter Finals from 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 17 March: Quarter Finals from 11am and 7pm;
- Friday 18 March: Semi Finals from 11am and 6pm;
- Saturday 19 March: No women’s matches; and
- Sunday 20 March: Women’s Singles Finals at 11am.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Indian Wells-> Indian Wells 2011: March 7-20.
© photo credit: 6cab