The 2011 Indian Wells Open women’s singles main draw 2nd round matches will begin on Friday 11 March and the thirty-two matches will be completed over two days. The thirty-two 1st round matches were completed on Wednesday 9 March and Thursday 10 March.
In this post the full women’s singles draw for the 2nd round will be listed below plus a number of interesting facts about the 2nd round of the main draw, including a close look at the wild cards. OnCourt Advantage will provide some interesting background about the Junior ITF Tour careers of young emerging stars on the women’s tour that received wild cards as well.
Click this link to buy Indian Wells Official tennis tickets.
The 32 seeds will play their first match in the 2nd round after all 32 of them had a bye in the 1st round. It will be interesting to see who the seeds are that lose their 1st match against the players whom have at least one match victory and the confidence that comes with a win. You can usually expect at least one quarter of the seeds to be knocked out in their first match.
At this time in the season you often have some of the top ranked players who have not played much since the Australian Open. A number of seeded players especially from Europe and South America have played on clay for the past month and have to transition to the hard courts without any hard court tournament matches under their belt.
The Wild Cards:
The wild cards caused some upsets with a 50-50 success rate seeing 4 of the 8 wild cards win their 1st round matches. The group of wild cards included 7 Americans with the four who lost being Jill CRAYBAS, Vania KING, Alison RISKE and Lauren DAVIS. The 4 wild cards who won through featured Sania MIRZA (pictured above) and 3 Americans Sloane STEPHENS, Christina MCHALE and Coco VANDEWEGHE.
The 19-year-old Coco VANDEWEGHE is currently ranked at a career-high No.92, which is just 10 spots outside higher the ranking of the last direct acceptance who was ranked at No.82. The 1.85m Vandeweghe is playing her 5th Indian Wells after losing in the 1st round of qualifying in the past four years.
The 18-year-old Christina MCHALE is currently ranked at No.112 just 6 spots below her career-high ranking to date of No.106, which she first achieved on 4 October 2010. The 1.7m Mchale is playing at Indian Wells for the second straight year and has played in 5 Grand Slam singles events to date with a best of making the 2nd round in 2009 at the US Open.
The Qualifiers: Of the 12 qualifiers there were 5 winners and 7 qualifiers who lost in the 1st round. The 5 winners were Monica NICULESCU, Alize CORNET, ZHANG Shuai, Lucie HRADECKA and Laura POUS-TIO.
To see the FULL 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event click-> Indian Wells 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play.
Only the Top 16 seeds names will be bolded in the draw below in order to make it easier to spot which Top 16 seeds are drawn to play each other for a spot in the quarter finals.
The 2011 Indian Wells Open Women’s singles 2nd round draw is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) v (WC) Sloane STEPHENS
- Simona HALEP v (28) Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ
- Alisa KLEYBANOVA (22) v Agnes SZAVAY
- Elena BALTACHA v (13) Flavia PENNETTA
- Agnieszka RADWANSKA (9) v Iveta BENESOVA
- Anna CHAKVETADZE v (24) Maria KIRILENKO
- Klara ZAKOPALOVA (31) v Urszula RADWANSKA
- Ekaterina MAKAROVA v (8) Victoria AZARENKA
- Samantha STOSUR (4) v (Q) Laura POUS-TIO
- Dinara SAFINA v (26) Daniela HANTUCHOVA
- Aravane REZAI (20) v (Q) ZHANG Shuai
- Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES v (16) Maria SHARAPOVA
- Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (11) v (WC) Christina MCHALE
- Sofia ARVIDSSON v (18) Nadia PETROVA
- Alexandra DULGHERU (27) v (Q) Lucie HRADECKA
- PENG Shuai v (7) LI Na
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Francesca SCHIAVONE (5) v Zuzana ONDRASKOVA
- Alize CORNET (Q) v (30) Tsvetana PIRONKOVA
- Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (17) v Anastasija SEVASTOVA
- Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS v (10) Shahar PEER
- Kaia KANEPI (14) v Gisela DULKO
- Melanie OUDIN v (23) Yanina WICKMAYER
- Dominika CIBULKOVA (25) v (WC) Sania MIRZA
- Timea BACSINSZKY v (3) Vera ZVONAREVA
- Jelena JANKOVIC (6) v (WC) Coco VANDEWEGHE
- Sybille BAMMER v (32) Julia GOERGES
- Ana IVANOVIC (19) v Kimiko DATE-KRUMM
- Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA v (12) Petra KVITOVA
- Marion BARTOLI (15) v (Q) Monica NICULESCU
- Lucie SAFAROVA v (21) Andrea PETKOVIC
- Jarmila GROTH (29) v Sara ERRANI
- Alla KUDRYAVTSEVA v (2) Kim CLIJSTERS
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Indian Wells-> Indian Wells 2011: March 7-20.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
© photo credit: 6cab