The 2011 Indian Wells Open women’s qualifying singles event begins on Monday 7 March at 10am local time. There are 48 players in the qualifying draw divided up between 6 Wild Cards (WC) and 42 Direct Acceptances vying for 12 spots in the main draw.
In this post the full women’s qualifying singles draw will be listed below plus a number of interesting facts about the qualifying. The official tournament name of Indian Wells is the BNP Paribas Open due to title sponsorship naming rights. Indian Wells is a WTA Premier Mandatory category tournament played on Deco Turf II hard courts from March 7 to 20.
The seeding will be done according to the WTA rankings as at 28 February and a seeded player occupies one of every 2 spots in the qualifying draw. The “Qualifying Round” is the round that decides which players qualify for the main draw, because the winner of that round qualifies. The seeds do not receive a BYE in the 1st round of the qualifying event. All players must win 2 matches in a row in order to qualify.
The qualifying draws are different to main draws because these events do not play off until there is one undefeated player. Therefore, the No.1 seed and the No.2 seed are not separated at the opposite ends of the draw and all 24 seeds are just listed down the draw. The seeds are bolded in the draw below to highlight this.
To see the FULL 2011 Indian Wells Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event click-> Indian Wells 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play.
Pictured above is 2010 Indian Wells semi finalist Samantha Stosur during the very early phase of her service action. The 26-year-old from Australia achieved her career high ranking of No.4 on 21 February 2011. The current No.4 climbed into the Top 10 for the first time in 2010.
The 1.72m Stosur achieved her best Grand Slam singles results to date by being the runner-up at Roland Garros in 2010. Stosur followed that up with her first Grand Slam singles quarter final result at a Grand Slam other than Roland Garros at the 2010 US Open. Before posting her best year on tour in 2010 Stosur made the semi finals at Roland Garros in 2009.
The draw for the 2011 Indian Wells Open Women’s qualifying singles event is:
- Rebecca MARINO (1) v Tatjana MALEK
- Petra CETKOVSKA v (13) Virgine RAZZANO
- Monica NICULESCU (2) v Lesia TSURENKO
- Kathrin WOERLE v (17) Patricia MAYR-ACHLEITNER
- Alize CORNET (3) v HAN Xinyun
- Eva BIRNEROVA v (24) Vesna MANASIEVA
- Mathilde JOHANSSON (4) v (WC) Krista HARDEBECK
- Heather WATSON v (19) Kirsten FLIPKENS
- Evgeniya RODINA (5) v Olga SAVCHUK
- Nuria LLAGOSTERA VIVES v (18) Sandra ZAHLAVOVA
- Chanelle SCHEEPERS (6) v Misaki DOI
- Maria SANCHEZ (WC) v (16) Mirjana LUCIC
- ZHANG Shuai (7) v Sophie FERGUSON
- Anastasia PIVOVAROVA v (21) Pauline PARMENTIER
- Lucie HRADECKA (8) v Anastasiya YAKIMOVA
- Aleksandra WOZNIAK v (14) Petra MARTIC
- Laura POUS-TIO (9) v Anna TATISHVILI
- Madison KEYS (WC) v (20) Junri NAMIGATA
- Ksenia PERVAK (10) v CHAN Yung-Jan
- Jamie HAMPTON v (23) Aranxta RUS
- Tamira PASZEK (11) v (WC) Madison BRENGLE
- Irina FALCONI v (15) Andrea HLAVACKOVA
- Sorana CIRSTEA (12) v (WC) Sabine LISICKI
- Monica PUIG (WC) v (22) Anne KEOTHAVONG
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Indian Wells-> Indian Wells 2011: March 7-20.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: james.fawcette