Last updated 29 September at 8pm in Tokyo. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Japan Open women’s main draw singles 2nd round matches are now complete. Only 9 of the 16 seeds are still alive in the round of 16 draw. The remaining players are two qualifiers, 4 direct acceptances and one very popular wild card entrant from Japan. Elena Dementieva and Japan’s Kimiko Date Krumm are the only remaining former Japan Open singles winners.
OCA will keep you updated with all of the round of 16 results as matches right here on this post. The matches numbered from No.1 to No.4 in the draw below are the matches from the top half of the draw, whilst matches No.5 to No.8 are the matches from the bottom half of the draw. All 8 matches are scheduled for today, after which the 8 quarter finalists will be decided.
Pictured above is 30 year old Francesca Schiavone of Italy right at the contact point with the ball and her racquet during her service motion. The 1.66m Schiavone won the Roland Garros singles championship this year in brilliant fashion and has been achieving a number of career firsts in 2010.
Schiavone is currently ranked No.8 and her career high ranking is No.6 which she achieved the day after winning her first Grand Slam singles title the day before – June 6 2010. The best year of her career could see her qualify for the very first time at the WTA Tour Finals where only the best 8 players of the year are eligible. The No.5 seed will be looking to achieve another personal best in Tokyo by progressing past the round of 16 for the first time.
Just two of the Top 10 players have been defeated thus far with No.4 seed Samantha Stosur being the biggest upset thus far when she lost to Julia Goerges. No.10 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova was knocked out by Andrea Petkovic. Any player whose name is italicised and has her first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the round of 16.
The 2010 Japan Open in Tokyo round of 16 draw is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki versus (16) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
- (10) Kuznetsova Andrea Petkovic v. (6) Agnieszka Radwanska
- (4) Stsour Julia Goerges v. (Q) Coco Vandeweghe (14) Rezai
- (11) Marion Bartoli v. (8) Victoria Azarenka
- (5) Francesca Schiavone v. (WC) Kimiko Date Krumm (12) Sharapova
- (13) Peer Kaia Kanepi v. (3) Jelena Jankovic
- (7) Elena Dementieva v. Flavia Pennetta (9) Li
- (15) Petrova (Q) Roberta Vinci v. (2) Vera Zvonareva
The order of play for Wednesday 29 September is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki defeated (16) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-1 6-2
- Andrea Petkovic lost to (6) Agnieszka Radwanska 3-6 3-6
- Julia Goerges lost to (Q) Coco Vandeweghe 3-6 0-6
- (11) Marion Bartoli lost to (8) Victoria Azarenka 2-6 0-0 retired
- (5) Francesca Schiavone def. (WC) Kimiko Date Krumm 6-3 6-3
- Kaia Kanepi def. (3) Jelena Jankovic 6-4 6-4
- (7) Elena Dementieva def. Flavia Pennetta 6-4 6-2
- (Q) Roberta Vinci lost to (2) Vera Zvonareva 4-6 0-6
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Japan Open including the schedule of play -> Japan Open 2010: September 24-October 2.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010