The 2010 Japan Open women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Sunday 26 September at 10:30am local time in Tokyo in the Japan, which means 9:30am Hong Kong time. There are 56 main draw spots divided up between 8 Qualifiers (Q), 4 Wild Cards (WC) and 44 Direct Acceptances.
The Japan Open is a WTA Premier FIVE tournament held in Tokyo at the Ariake Colosseum. This year is the 26th straight year for this tournament, which with title sponsorship is called the Toray Pan Pacific Open or the PPO for short. The draw was completed this afternoon.
In a 56-player draw there are 16 seeded players and they will be selected according to the WTA rankings on the final Monday before this event commences. This year the seeding will be based on the WTA Tour rankings as at September 20 2010 and the cut-off date for entry.
The direct acceptances into the main draw are the highest 44 ranked players on the cut-off date, which was August 16 2010. This year the cut-off for the last direct acceptance was 22 year old Olga Govortsova of Belarus who was ranked No.51 at the cut-off date.
Of the 12 remaining spots in the main draw 4 are allocated to wild card entrants (WC) at the discretion of the Japanese Tennis Association. The 4 wild cards are 2008 Japan Open champion Dinara Safina of Russia, Kimiko Date Krumm, Ayumi Morita and Kurumi Nara all from Japan.
Only the Top 8 seeded players receive a BYE in the 1st round, whilst seeds 9 to 16 do have to play a first round match. Being seeded means that you the earliest round in the event that you can meet another seeded player is in the round of 16 where only 16 players remain. The player’s name that is bolded in the draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match.
Pictured above is 2009 Japan Open Women’s Singles semi finalist Li Na as she is set to swing her racquet forward to make contact with the ball for this forehand ground stroke. The 28 year old from China made the semi finals at the Japan Open before running into Jelena Jankovic who was runner-up to Maria Sharapova in the final.
The 1.72m Li made also made the semi finals at the 2010 Australian Open and achieved her career high ranking of No.9 on August 23 this year. Li Na is a contender to qualify for the WTA Tour Finals for the very first time if she can perform in Tokyo and Beijing over the next few weeks. In the draw below the qualifiers (Q) will be added once the qualifying tournament is completed.
The draw for the seeded players if they all win through to the round of 16 is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki versus (20) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
- (10) Svetlana Kuznetsova v. (6) Agnieszka Radwanska
- (4) Samantha Stosur v. (14) Aravane Rezai
- (11) Marion Bartoli v. (8) Victoria Azarenka
Which are the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players who are seeded to meet are:
- (5) Francesca Schiavone v. (12) Maria Sharapova
- (13) Shahar Peer v. (3) Jelena Jankovic
- (7) Elena Dementieva v. (9) Li Na
- (15) Nadia Petrova v. (2) Vera Zvonareva
The draw for the 2010 Japan Open Women’s singles event is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki versus BYE
- Qualifier (Q) v. (Q)
- Katernya Bondarenko v. Anabel Medina Garrigues
- Dominika Cibulkova v. (16) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
- (1o) Svetlana Kuznetsova v. Agnes Szavay
- Gisela Dulko v. Andrea Petkovic
- Olga Govortsova v. (Q)
- BYE v. (6) Agnieszka Radwanska
- (4) Samantha Stosur v. BYE
- Julia Goerges v. (WC) Dinara Safina
- (Q) v. Klara Zakopalova
- Polona Hercog v. (14) Aravane Rezai
- (11) Marion Bartoli v. Yanina Wickmayer
- Alisa Kleybanova v. Ana Ivanovic
- (Q) v. Lucie Safarova
- BYE v. (8) Victoria Azarenka
- (5) Francesca Schiavone v. BYE
- Alexandra Dulgheru v. (Q)
- Angelique Kerber v. Daniela Hantuchova
- (WC) Kimiko Date Krumm v. (12) Maria Sharapova
- (13) Shahar Peer v. Timea Bacsinszky
- Melanie Oudin v. Kaia Kanepi
- Petra Kvitova v. Alona Bondarenko
- BYE v. (3) Jelena Jankovic
- (7) Elena Dementieva v. BYE
- Yaroslava Shvedova v. (WC) Kurumi Nara
- (Q) v. Flavia Pennetta
- Maria Kirilenko v. (9) Li Na
- (15) Nadia Petrova v. (Q)
- (WC) Ayumi Morita v. Tsvetana Pironkova
- Barbora Zahlavova Strycova v. Sara Errani
- BYE v. (2) Vera Zvonareva
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Japan Open including the schedule of play -> Japan Open 2010: September 24-October 2.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010