The 2010 Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open women’s 1st round main draw singles matches have been completed and the 2nd round has already commenced. The latest news is that in the last match of the day, defending Madrid champion Dinara Safina was defeated in the 1st round by qualifier Klara Zakoplaova in 2 tie break sets.
World No.1 Serena Williams narrowly escaped similar embarrassment against Vera Dushevina. Serena saved a match point against her in the 2nd set and then fought back from 0-4 in the final set tie break to win in 3 hours and 26 minutes, 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5).
Pictured above is Australian Samantha Stosur getting into position to receive her opponent’s serve. The 1.72m Stosur reached her career high ranking of No.8 last week and looks set to move higher after Safina’s loss.
The 2009 French Open semi finalist continues to record personal best results on the WTA Tour and will be looking to record a 3rd straight win this year over Rome singles champion Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez today in the 2nd match on Court Manolo Santana.
Stosur defeated Spain’s Martinez Sanchez in their last meeting at the 2010 Indian Wells quarter finals 6-3 7-6 (9-7). The crowd will be on her opponents side today in what should be a great clash between 2 players in top form. Stosur made the semi at Indian Wells, the quarter finals in Miami, won the Charleston title in the USA and was a runner-up in Stuttgart, Germany in her tournaments leading into Madrid.
Stosur lost in the 2nd round in Madrid last year so has a lot to gain this week. Her last 3 losses have only been to the eventual champion, Jankovic in Indian Wells, Kim Clijsters in Miami and Justien Henin in Stuttgart. If Martinez Sanchez can upset Stosur it bodes well for her as she will have to go on and win the title just as Stosur’s last 3 conquerors have.
In the other two 2nd round matches that were played yesterday (15) Francesca Schiavone d. (WC) Sybille Bammer 6-2 6-1 and (4) Venus Williams d. Vera Zvonareva 7-5 6-3.
For further details about the when each round of the women’s singles event is scheduled to be played, including when the semi finals and finals, you can visit -> Madrid Women’s Schedule of Play.
The 1st round results from yesterday were:
- (16) Petrova d. Vesnina 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- (Q) Zakopalova d. (3) Safina 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-3)
- (14) Pennetta d. Cirstea 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
- Medina Garrigues d. Zheng 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- (8) Stosur d. Dulko 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
- Schnyder d. Szavay 5-2 retired
- Kleybanova d. (Q) Amanmuradova 6-3 6-2
- (WC) Parra Santoja d. (WC) Ruano Pascual 6-3 6-2
- (WC) Peng d. (10) Azarenka 3-0 retired
- (13) Li d. (Q) Garcia Vidagany 6-0 6-2
- (2) Wozniacki d. (Q) Kvitova 6-4 6-2
The women’s 2nd round singles draw is:
- (1) Serena Williams d. Vera Dushevina
- Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova v. (16) Nadia Petrova,
- (11) Sharapova Lucie Safarova v. Olga Govortsova
- Alexandra Dulgheru v. (6) Elena Dementieva,
- (3) Safina (Q) Klara Zakopalova v. Aravane Rezai
- Andrea Petkovic v. (14) Flavia Pennetta
- (12) Marion Bartoli v. Anabel Medina Garrigues
- (WC) Ana Ivanovic v. (7) Jelena Jankovic
Which are the 2nd round the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players to meet in the 2nd round are:
- (8) Sam Stosur v. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
- Patty Schnyder v. (9) Agnieszka Radwanska
- (15) Francesca Schiavone d. (WC) Sybille Bammer
- Vera Zvonareva lost to (4) Venus Williams
- (5) Kuznetsova Shahar Peer v. Alisa Kleybanova
- (WC) Parra Santonja v. (WC) Peng Shuai (10) Azarenka
- (13) Li Na v. Dominika Cibulkova
- Alona Bondarenko v. (2) Caroline Wozniacki
The players name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. The players names who have a line drawn through them, are the seeded players who were expected to reach the round of 16, but have been eliminated from that spot in the draw.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about Madrid for both the men’s and women’s events. Click this link for more details -> Madrid 2010: May 7 – 16.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010