The 2011 Miami Open women’s singles main draw 2nd round matches will begin on Thursday 24 March and the thirty-two matches will be completed over two days. The thirty-two 1st round matches were completed on Tuesday 22 March and Wednesday 23 March.
In this post the full women’s singles draw for the 2nd round will be listed below plus a number of interesting facts about the 2nd round of the main draw and a look at current No.1 Caroline WOZNIACKI pictured above.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage
The 32 seeds will play their first match in the 2nd round after all 32 of them had a bye in the 1st round. It will be interesting to see who the seeds are that lose their 1st match against the players whom have at least one match victory and the confidence that comes with a win. You can usually expect at least one quarter of the seeds to be knocked out in their first match.
At this time in the season you often have some of the top ranked players who have not played much since the Australian Open. A number of seeded players especially from Europe and South America have played on clay for the past month and have to transition to the hard courts without any hard court tournament matches under their belt.
The Wild Cards:
Three of the 8 wild cards win their 1st round matches: former World No.1 Dinara SAFINA, Petra MARTIC and Sabine LISICKI. In the 2nd round Safina plays No.3 seed Vera Zvonareva, Lisicki plays No.18 seed Nadia Petrova and Martic plays No.16 seed Maria Sharapova.
The Qualifiers: Of the 12 qualifiers there were 5 winners and 7 qualifiers who lost in the 1st round. The 5 winners were American Jamie HAMPTON, Sania MIRZA, Lucie HRADECKA, Anna TATISHVILI and Anastasiya YAKIMOVA.
To see the FULL 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event click-> Miami 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play.
Only the Top 16 seeds names will be bolded in the draw below in order to make it easier to spot which Top 16 seeds are drawn to play each other for a spot in the quarter finals.
The 2011 Miami Open Women’s singles 2nd round draw is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) v Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS
- Melanie OUDIN v (29) Daniela HANTUCHOVA
- Andrea PETKOVIC (21) v (Q) Jamie HAMPTON
- Iveta BENESOVA v (13) Flavia PENNETTA
- Shahar PE’ER (10) v Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES
- Elena VESNINA v (23) Yanina WICKMAYER
- Klara ZAKOPALOVA (32) v Elena BALTACHA
- Monica NICULESCU v (6) Jelena JANKOVIC
- Samantha STOSUR (4) v ZHENG Jie
- Patty SCHNYDER v (30) Lucie SAFAROVA
- Nadia PETROVA (18) v (WC) Sabine LISICKI
- Petra MARTIC (WC) v (16) Maria SHARAPOVA
- Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (11) v Simona HALEP
- PENG Shuai v (20) Aravane REZAI
- Alexandra DULGHERU v Chanelle SCHEEPERS
- Johanna LARSSON v (7) LI Na
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Francesca SCHIAVONE (5) v Angelique KERBER
- Lourdes DOMINGUEZ LINO v (31) Tsvetana PIRONKOVA
- Maria KIRILENKO (24) v (Q) Sania MIRZA
- Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA v (9) Agnieszka RADWANSKA
- Marion BARTOLI (15) v Ayumi MORITA
- Ekaterina MAKAROVA v (22) Alisa KLEYBANOVA
- Jarmila GROTH (28) v Yaroslava SHVEDOVA
- Dinara SAFINA (WC) v (3) Vera ZVONAREVA
- Victoria AZARENKA (8) v (Q) Lucie HRADECKA
- Timea BACSINSZKY v (25) Dominika CIBULKOVA
- Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (17) v Agnes SZAVAY
- Varvara LEPCHENKO v (12) Petra KVITOVA
- Kaia KANEPI (14) v Virginie RAZZANO
- Kimiko DATE-KRUMM v (19) Ana IVANOVIC
- Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ (27) v (Q) Anna TATISHVILI
- Anastasiya YAKIMOVA (Q) v (2) Kim CLIJSTERS
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Miami-> Miami 2011: March 21-April 3.
© photo credit: 6cab