The 2011 Miami Open women’s qualifying singles event begins on Monday 21 March at 11am local time. There are 48 players in the qualifying draw divided up between 6 Wild Cards (WC) and 42 Direct Acceptances vying for 12 spots in the main draw. The cut-off date for entry was 7 February 2011 and Corinna Dentoni of Italy then ranked at No.145 was the last direct acceptance.
In this post the full women’s qualifying singles draw will be listed below plus a number of interesting facts about the qualifying. The official tournament name of Miami is the Sony Ericsson Open due to title sponsorship naming rights. Miami is a WTA Premier Mandatory category tournament played on Laykold Cushion Plus hard courts from March 21 to April 2.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The seeding will be done according to the WTA rankings as at 14 March and a seeded player occupies one of every 2 spots in the qualifying draw. The “Qualifying Round” is the round that decides which players qualify for the main draw, because the winner of that round qualifies. The seeds do not receive a BYE in the 1st round of the qualifying event. All players must win 2 matches in a row in order to qualify.
The qualifying draws are different to main draws because these events do not play off until there is one undefeated player. Therefore, the No.1 seed and the No.2 seed are not separated at the opposite ends of the draw and all 24 seeds are just listed down the draw. The seeds are bolded in the draw below to highlight this.
To see the FULL 2011 Miami Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event click-> Miami 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play.
Pictured above is 2010 Miami semi finalist Marion Bartoli looking up at the ball during the earlier phases of her service action. The 26-year-old Bartoli made the final of Indian Wells yesterday before losing in 3 sets to World No.1 Caroline Wozniacki. The 1.7m Bartoli returned to the Top 10 today for the first time since mid-2008.
The Wild Cards: The six wild cards into the qualifying event were awarded to-> 3 Americans Sloane STEPHENS, Beatrice CAPRA and Lauren DAVIS, Germany’s Carina WITTHOEFT, Portugal’s Michelle LARCHER DE BRITO and Canada’s Stephanie DUBOIS.
The draw for the 2011 Miami Open Women’s qualifying singles event is:
- Jelena DOKIC (1) v Tatjana MALEK
- Carina WITTHOEFT (WC) v (23) Christina MCHALE
- Rebecca MARINO (2) v Jamie HAMPTON
- Lesia TSURENKO v (17) Kirsten FLIPKENS
- Magdalena RYBARIKOVA (3) v (WC) Michelle LARCHER DE BRITO
- Misaki DOI v (21) Aranxta RUS
- Evgeniya RODINA (4) v (WC) Sloane STEPHENS
- Sophie FERGUSON v (13) Alberta BRIANTI
- ZHANG Shuai (5) v Alison RISKE
- Eva BIRNEROVA v (22) Pauline PARMENTIER
- Ksenia PERVAK (6) v Zuzana KUCOVA
- Stephanie DUBOIS (WC) v (18) Junri NAMIGATA
- Lucie HRADECKA (7) v (WC) Beatrice CAPRA
- Irina FALCONI v (15) Sandra ZAHLAVOVA
- Renata VORACOVA (8) v Corinna DENTONI
- HAN Xinyun v (19) Sania MIRZA
- Tamira PASZEK (9) v Nuria LLAGOSTERA VIVES
- Anna TATISHVILI v (16) Patricia MAYR-ACHLEITNER
- Andrea HLAVACKOVA (10) v CHAN Yung-Jan
- Anastasia PIVOVAROVA v (20) Anne KEOTHAVONG
- Mirjana LUCIC (11) v Yvonne MEUSBURGER
- Vesna MANASIEVA v (14) Vania KING
- Jill CRAYBAS (12) v (WC) Lauren DAVIS
- Anastasiya YAKIMOVA v (24) Kateryna BONDARENKO
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Miami-> Miami 2011: March 21-April 3
photo credit: JanJan de Paris