The 2012 Qatar Open women’s main draw singles 1st round matches will begin on Monday 13 February at 11am local time in Doha, Qatar. The second MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14” events in 2012 has a 64-draw divided up between 8 Qualifiers (Q), 3 Wild Cards (WC), 8 BYES and 45 Direct Acceptances. The official tournament name is the Qatar TOTAL Open due to title sponsorship naming rights.
The seeds were chosen according to the WTA rankings as at Monday 6 February. The last direct acceptance to make the cut-off into the draw was Mona BARTHEL who was ranked at No.69 at the entry deadline date. The Top 8 seeds all receive a BYE in the 1st round so will play their first match in the 2nd round. The seeds from 9 to 16 all play their 1st match in the 1st round. If any of the Top 8 seeds lose their first match in the 2nd round they are only awarded the ranking points that a 1st round loser receives!
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. You will find the full 2nd round order of play in the comments section below this article. Click this link for details about how you can buy Qatar Open Official tennis tickets and you will also find full coverage of the Qatar Open, including the entire tournament schedule of play, prize money and ranking points details.
A semi finalist at the 2011 Qatar Women’s was Jelena JANKOVIC who is featured in both pictures during last year’s tournament. The 26-year-old is captured at the top of this page displaying excellent extension through the hitting zone with her best shot, her double-handed backhand drive. The 1.77m Serbian in the picture immediately below displays excellent positioning of her head after making contact with the ball during her service action.
Jankovic has won 12 career WTA singles so far and achieved her best result in a Grand Slam singles event at the 2008 US Open where she was the runner-up. Jankovic was the 18th player to earn the World No.1 WTA ranking and achieved the year-end World No.1 WTA champion award in 2008. Jankovic turns 27 on February 28 and has made the semi finals of three of the four Grand Slam events. At Wimbledon Jankovic’s best is making the round of 16 on four occasions.
The 2012 Qatar Open women’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Victoria AZARENKA (1) v BYE
- Caroline GARCIA (Q) v Mona BARTHEL
- Iveta BENESOVA v Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA
- Simona HALEP v (15) Daniela HANTUCHOVA
- Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (10) v Ksenia PERVAK
- Virginie RAZZANO (Q) v (WC) Ons JABEUR
- Ayumi MORITA v Yanina WICKMAYER
- BYE v (7) Francesca SCHIAVONE
- Agnieszka RADWANSKA (4) v BYE
- Anne KEOTHAVONG (Q) v Tamira PASZEK
- Aleksandra WOZNIAK (Q) v (Q) Varvara LEPCHENKO
- Anastasiya YAKIMOVA v (16) Julia GOERGES
- PENG Shuai (12) v (WC) Fatma AL NABHANI
- Chanelle SCHEEPERS v Christina MCHALE
- Nadia LALAMI (WC) v Shahar PE’ER
- BYE v (8) Jelena JANKOVIC
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Vera ZVONAREVA (6) v BYE
- Elena VESNINA v Monica NICULESCU
- Vera DUSHEVINA (Q) v (Q) Katernya BONDARENKO
- Flavia PENNETTA v (11) Dominika CIBULKOVA
- Ana IVANOVIC (13) v Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO
- Petra MARTIC v Petra CETKOVSKA
- Jarmila GAJDOSOVA v Sorana CIRSTEA
- BYE v (3) Samantha STOSUR
- Marion BARTOLI (5) v BYE
- Klara ZAKOPALOVA v Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES
- Tsvetana PIRONKOVA v Polona HERCOG
- Angelique KERBER v (9) Sabine LISICKI
- Svetlana KUZNETSOVA (14) v Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ
- ZHENG Jie v Maria KIRILENKO
- Lucie SAFAROVA v (Q) Urszula RADWANKSA
- BYE v (2) Caroline WOZNIACKI
OnCourt Advantage supplies all the details YOU need to make it easy to follow tennis, get your tennis tickets and watch men’s and women’s professional tennis on the WTA, ATP Tour and for each Grand Slam tournament all year round.
© photo credit: Qatar Tennis Federation