The 2010 Rome Internazionali BNL d’Italia women’s singles event has now completed all of the 1st round matches. Play will commence at 1pm local time in Rome today. All of the remaining 15 2nd round matches are scheduled to be played today. Only the 16 players who can perform at the level necessary to win on the professional tour will survive.
There is a good chance that even more of the top seeds could be out played today, so watch Rome to find out who survives. The big news is that 2009 Rome finalist No.5 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova was knocked out in her 1st match by fellow Russian Maria Kirilenko. When 2 Russians square off against each other the lower ranked player wins quite often. Kirilenko won 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 in 2 hours and 32 minutes.
The matches that promise to be particularly interesting on today’s schedule are (4) Venus versus Schnyder (Schnyder knocked out Serena in the same round in Rome last year), (11) Wickmayer v. Rezai, Dulgheru v. (3) Safina, Ivanovic v. (9) Azarenka and all 5 matches featuring the Italians, who will have a huge home crowd advantage.
The 1st round results from yesterday’s matches were as follows:
- Bacsinszky d. Zahlavova 6-0 6-4
- Cibulkova d. (LL) Parmentier 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
- Schnyder d. Dulko 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
- (16) Peer d. (WC) Dentoni 6-2 6-1
- (11) Wickmayer v. (Q) Sprem 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
- Rezai d. (Q) Morita 6-4 6-2
- (Q) Mattek-Sands vd. Oudin 6-1 6-3
Shvedova v. (Q) Jovanovski 6-2 6-2
Ivanovic d. Vesnina 6-1 6-3
- Srebotnik d. (Q) Lepchenko 6-7 (2-7), 7-5, 6-2
- Dulgheru d. Errani 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Vinci v. Kleybanova 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-5)
- Safarova d. Govortsova 6-2, 6-7 (9-11), 6-3
- (12) Pennetta d. (Q) Amanmuradova 6-2 6-3
- (13) Schiavone v. Hantuchova 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
The women’s 2nd round singles draw is:
- (1) (WC) Serena Williams v. Timea Bacsinszky
- Andrea Petkovic v. Petra Kvitova (15) Zvonreva
- (10) Stosur Dominika Cibulkova v. Alberta Brianti
- (5) Kuznetsova lost to Maria Kirilenko
- (4) Venus Williams v. Patty Schnyder
- Polona Hercog v. (16) Shahar Peer
- (11) Yanina Wickmayer v. Aravane Rezai
- (7) Jelena Jankovic v. (Q) Bethanie Mattek-Sands
…which are the 2nd round the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players to meet in the 2nd round are:
(6) Elena Dementieva v. Yaroslava Shvedova
Ana Ivanovic v. (9) Victoria Azarenka
- (14) Nadia Petrova v. Katarina Srebotnik
- (3) Dinara Safina v. Alexandra Dulgheru
- (8) Agnieszka Radwanska v. Roberta Vinci
- Lucie Safarova v. (12) Flavia Pennetta
- (13) Francesca Schiavone v. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
- (2) Caroline Wozniacki v. (WC) Maria Elena Camerin
The players name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. The players names who have a line drawn through them, are the seeded players who have been eliminated from that spot in the draw.
Pictured above is former World No.1 Dinara Safina during last year’s French Open final gettting in position to go after this serve.
The 1.82m Russian won both Rome and Madrid in 2009 before being runner-up to Svetlana Kuznetsova at the 2009 French Open. The 24 year old is playing the 1st match today on Campo Pietrangeli at 1pm local time in Rome against rising star Alexandra Dulgheru.
The 20 year old Dulgheru is the current World No.43. She reached a career high of No.6 on the ITF Junior Tour and made the quarter finals of the 2006 Junior Wimbledon. The 1.72m Romanian will be trying to take advantage of Safina’s lack of match play.
Kuznetsova was knocked out yesterday after not playing many matches of late and Safina is in the same position, after only playing 2 matches since the 2010 Australian Open. Safina has everything to lose whilst Dulgheru has everything to gain.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about Rome. Click this link for more details -> Rome 2010: Apr 24 – May 8.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010