The 2nd round of the 2010 Rome Internazionali BNL d’Italia women’s singles event has been completed. Today, all 8 of the round of 16 matches will be played to determine who makes the quarter finals. There will be 4 matches played on each of the 2 show courts, Campo Centrale and Campo Pietrangeli.
There is a good chance that even more of the top seeds could be out-played today, so watch Rome to find out who survives. The big news is that the 2009 Rome champion, No.3 seed Dinara Safina, was knocked out in her 1st match by 20 year old Romanian, Alexandra Dulgheru as predicted in our previous post. Dulgheru won 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1 in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
All of the matches promise to be very interesting in today’s schedule, as we have 9 of the top 16 seeds in action with some players in top form and playing on their preferred surface, the clay. The matches begin at 1pm local time in Rome.
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez was a quarter finalist in Rome last year and needs to win today to match that result. Only No.1 seed Serena Williams is a clear cut favourite to win through to the quarter finals.
The 2nd round results from yesterday’s matches were as follows:
- (8) Radwanska d. Vinci 6-1 6-0
- (4) V. Williams d. Schnyder 6-2 6-2
- (1) (WC) S. Williams d. Bacsinszky 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
- (2) Wozniacki d. (WC) Camerin 6-1 6-0
- Dulgheru d. (3) Safina 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1
- Martinez Sanchez d. (13) Schiavone 6-2 6-2
- Safarova d. (12) Pennetta 6-1 6-2
- Ivanovic d. (9) Azarenka 6-4 6-4
- (16) Peer d. Hercog 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Petkovic d. Kvitova 6-3 6-4
- (14) Petrova d. Srebotnik 6-4 6-4
- (11) Wickmayer v. Rezai 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 7-5
- (7) Jankovic d. (Q) Mattek-Sands 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
(6) Dementieva d. Shvedova 6-4 7-5
- Cibulkova d. Brianti 6-3 6-4
The women’s 2nd round singles draw is:
- (1) (WC) Serena Williams v. Andrea Petkovic (15) Zvonreva
- (10) Stosur Dominika Cibulkova v. Maria Kirilenko (5) Kuznetsova
- (4) Venus Williams v. (16) Shahar Peer
- (11) Yanina Wickmayer v. (7) Jelena Jankovic
…which are the round of 16 match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players to meet next are:
(6) Elena Dementieva v. Ana Ivanovic (9) Azarenka
- (14) Nadia Petrova v. Alexandra Dulgheru (3) Safina
- (8) Agnieszka Radwanska v. Lucie Safarova (12) Pennetta
- (13) Schiavone Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez v. (2) Caroline Wozniacki
The players name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. The players names who have a line drawn through them, are the seeded players who were expected to hav reached the round of 16 but have been eliminated from that spot in the draw.
Pictured above is 23 year old Lucie Safarova launching herself and her racquet up into this serve. The Czech defeated Caroline Wozniacki last week in Stuttgart and will be looking to advance through to her 2nd Premier FIVE level quarter final to potentially play Wozniacki again.
The 1.77m left hander made the 2007 Australian Open quarter finals in her best year on tour. Over the past 8 months Safarova has been recording her best results since then and is currently the World No.35. Safarova will be looking to wreak havoc amongst another top seed in order to improve further on her best result in Rome.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about Rome. Click this link for more details -> Rome 2010: Apr 24 – May 8.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010