The 2010 WTA Tour Finals round robin matches began today on Tuesday 26 October at 5pm local time in Doha, Qatar with 3 matches one after the other on the Centre Court. This the third and final year that this tournament is being held at the Khalifa International Tennis Complex.
The official name of the WTA Tour Finals with the title sponsorship rights is the Sony Ericsson Championships. The matches are played on hard courts and the majority of players have the opportunity to achieve career high rankings during this tournament. Of the 8 players tremendous opportunity is there for the taking as only Kim Clijsters has won this title before (in 2002 and in 2003).
Pictured above is Samantha Stosur just as she is making contact with the ball and her tennis racquet for this forehand drive. The 26-year-old Australian is enjoying the best year of her career this year, including qualifying for these end of year championships for the very first time.
The 1.72m Stosur achieved her best Grand Slam singles result this year by reaching the final at Roland Garros and reached her career high ranking of No.5 the next day. Stosur achieved her best result at the US Open by making the quarter finals before losing to eventual champion Kim Clijsters in 3 sets. Stosur has won 45 matches and lost 17 so far this year and is coached by David Taylor.
In her first match it will be a battle of the debutants and a rematch of the 2010 Roland Garros final, which was the last time these two players met. Francesca Schiavone won that match, however Stosur leads their head-to-head battles 4-2.
The player’s name that is bolded in the schedule of play below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. OCA will keep you updated here at OCA with the results and scores of each match and the schedule of play throughout this tournament.
Round robin matches scheduled Tuesday 26 October:
- At 5pm: No.2 seed Vera Zvonareva versus No.6 Jelena Jankovic in the white group
- Followed by: No.1 seed Caroline Wozniacki v. No.7 seed Elena Dementieva in the maroon group
- Followed by: No.4 seed Francesca Schiavone v. No.5 seed Samantha Stosur in the maroon group
Completed match results and scores on Day 1:
- Vera Zvonareva defeated Jelena Jankovic 6-3 6-0
- Caroline Wozniacki def. Elena Dementieva 6-1 6-1 in 53 minutes
- Samantha Stosur def. Francesca Schiavone 6-4 6-4 in 1 hour and 33 minutes
Schedule of play for Day 2 on Wednesday 27 October:
- At 5pm: No.2 seed Vera Zvonareva v. No.8 seed Victoria Azarenka in the white group
- Followed by: No.3 seed Kim Clijsters v. No.6 seed Jelena Jankovic in the white group
- Followed by: No.1 seed Caroline Wozniacki v. No.5 seed Samantha Stosur in the maroon group
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the WTA Tour Finals -> WTA Tour Finals 2010: October 26-31.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010
photo credit: swampa