The 2010 WTA Tour Finals round robin matches began on Tuesday 26 October at 5pm local time in Doha, Qatar. Three matches have been played each day, making today’s matches, matches 7 to 9, with 10 to 12 being played tomorrow to complete the round robin.
The player’s name that is bolded in the schedule of play below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. OCA will keep you updated here at OCA with the results and scores of each match and the schedule of play throughout this tournament.
Round robin matches scheduled Thursday 28 October:
- At 5pm: (5) Samantha Stosur versus (7) Elena Dementieva in the maroon group
- Followed by: (1) Caroline Wozniacki v. (4) Francesca Schiavone in the maroon group
- Followed by: (3) Kim Clijsters v. (8) Victoria Azarenka in the white group
Completed match results and scores on Day 3:
- Elena Dementieva defeated Samantha Stosur 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) in 2 hours and 42 minutes
- Caroline Wozniacki def. Francesca Schiavone 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 in 2 hours and 1 minute
- Kim Clijsters def. Victoria Azarenka 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 in 2 hours and 14 minutes
The WTA Tour Finals have turned out very well with the semi finalists being decided on the second last day of the round robin matches. Better still the actual semi final match-ups will be decided on the final day by the feature match between No.2 seed Vera Zvonareva and No.3 seed Kim Clijsters. Zvonareva and Clijsters is a rematch of this year’s US Open singles final and is the last time these two players met, with Clijsters winning her 3rd US Open singles final that day.
The four semi finalists are now confirmed they are World No.’s 1,2,3 and 5 – Caroline Wozniacki, Vera Zvonareva, Kim Clijsters and Samantha Stosur. Stosur won the maroon group and Wozniacki was No.2 in that group. Zvonareva and Clijsters are both undefeated with 2 wins each, whilst Jankovic and Azarenka will be both battling it out to determine who can record her first victory this week.
The winner of the Zvonareva and Clijsters match will win the white group, which means she will play Wozniacki. Whoever loses will play against Samantha Stosur because the player who finishes No.1 in their group plays against the No.2 player from the other group.
Schedule of play for Day 4 on Friday 29 October:
- At 5pm: (4) Francesca Schiavone v. (7) Elena Dementieva in the maroon group
- Followed by: (2) Vera Zvonareva v. (3) Kim Clijsters in the white group
- Followed by: (6) Jelena Jankovic v. (8) Victoria Azarenka in the white group
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the WTA Tour Finals -> WTA Tour Finals 2010: October 26-31.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010
photo credit: angelicalbite